Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
About that Walnut.......

KurtK in Indy
>Okay folks,
I have the wood in my possession and there is a lot of very nice platter pieces, bowl pieces and just some huge pieces that have very distinct grain and a lot of swirl and ribbon, etc...This lot of lumber is the cut offs from the finest walnut this veneer company has gotten over the last several years. There are lots of bastard sized pieces that would make excellent bottle stopper, pens, small item turnings. The final tally as far as what this is going to go for is.....right at $1.50 per pound. I have a huge stump that weighs 450# and I just don't really know what to do with it. All I know is the veneer guy said it was full of figure. There is another slab piece that weighs 160# and it is 5" thick. It has some real awesome figure on it that I would hate to start cutting into chunks. I think what I'm going to do is get an idea of when would be a good time for all of the guys (and gals) who are close by to come to my shop and we'd have a big chainsaw party. I will keep enough that I would be able to easily ups some out, although I hate having to do all the packaging, but, I usually charge a small handling fee and I have a credit card set up here at my business that I can use for this stuff.

Give me an idea of your availability and I'll get something put together rather quickly. I'd like to get this sold...I had to pay this guy up front (ouch!!) so I hope I don't get stuck with a whole lotta figured walnut!!

All that being said, I hope I'm not committing some Ellis Island violation as I would love to make a nice donation of any $$ earned (although making much $$ is not my intent here) to the "Save the gray haired guys named Ellis Fund".

Have a great weekend!

Kurt

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081