Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
So much for prof chain sharpening :((

Carole Valentine
>My chain was not dull at all since I touch it up frequently with a file but the rakers needed to be taken down a bit so I decided rather than hassle with that I would have it "professionally" sharpened at the local Stihl dealer. Bring it home and put it back on the saw, noticing after the fact that I did not have to go get my gloves to protect my hands like I normally do while handling a sharp chain. Fired up the saw and started to cut up a maple log. What the heck??? Did I manage to put the chain on backwards or something??? Nope. Chain is on correctly but the darn thing will hardly cut butter! I look at the teeth and they have been ground to a dull, straight, flat edge about 1/32" thick! No cutting edge AT ALL. Could not believe it. No wonder I did not need gloves! I took it back to them and the guy insists that that is as sharp as it will get, that I won't get an edge like a new chain and that I probably needed a new one and needed to have my bar "ground"! When I recovered from my astonishment, I said if that's the case how come I can get a like-new edge with my file and the chain cuts great??? He just shrugs. I snatched the chain back and told him that if that was his way of selling new chains, he was not going to sell one to me and he certainly was not touching my bar! Fortunately I had a spare chain at home. I really don't think this one can be saved. Oh, and how often do you guys dress (or grind, as he put it) your bars? My bar only has about 5 hours of use on it and looks fine. How do you know if it needs dressing?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081