Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
longworth chuck *PIC*

jared
>remove 1 for email
Hello: This past week I finished making the longworth chuck that was written up in Woodturning Design this winter. I followed the instructions closely and it all worked out like it was supposed to. I was amazed at how easily the two plywood discs rotate against each other and how smoothly the size changed. I like making things like this that require a little geometry and following directions closely. I used it to turn the bottom off one bowl that was probably 11 inches in diameter. I had previously used a donut chuck and would have to say that I preferred the longworth. It gives you better access to shaping and sanding the whole bottom of the bowl and I particularly like the fact that there isnt a plywood disc whizzing by about an inch from my left hand. I used the tail stock for support until I had only a very small button left in the middle. The whole thing ran very smoothly with no vibration. Cant you tell I am a happy customer. It didnt really take me that long to make either. Just thought someone might be interested. Jared

Messages In This Thread

longworth chuck *PIC*
Re: longworth chuck
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081