Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
thoughts on alcohol

jared
>remove 1 for email
Hello: My mind really started to ramble a few days ago when I was in the local hardware/farm supply looking at the cans of alcohol that I usually buy for around $9 per gallon. All of a sudden it hit me. I am a farmer and I grow corn and soybeans. I sell most of my corn to an ethanol plant where it is turned into ethanol and several byproducts. I sell a bushel of corn for about $2 which is then turned in to about 3 gallons of ethanol and about 30 pounds of livestock feed. Then the alcohol is shipped mostly to california by rail these days to be blended with gas in a 90-10 mix and sold for about $2.50 a gallon. Here in Iowa the 90-10 mix is available most everywhere and locally you can also buy E-85 which is a mix of 85% alcohol and 15% gas which is even cheaper yet, probably about $2 a gallon now. I talked to my local fuel supplier thinking maybe I could get some of that $2/gallon alcohol but they buy it already blended. He did say he thought he might be able to get a 55 gallon barrel of it. Then I got to thinking what would be wrong with just using the E-85 blend to soak my bowls in. It probably wouldnt be much different than alcohol and mineral spirits. Has anyone else ever thought of this and tried it? I guess I wont know with out trying it myself if there is too much or a residual odor in the dry bowl. I would think that 85% concentration of alcohol would be enough to expidite the drying process. I would think that the finishing coats of a shellac based sealer and 3 coats of my witches brew would be enough to seal in any smell or potentially unpleasant components of the small amount of gasoline. For that matter people use mineral spirits, mineral oil, and all sorts of petrolium based products in the finishing process.
Any thoughts on this? Am I way off base? Thanks in advance Jared

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081