Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Almond plate *PIC*

Colin Spencer
>Making this Almond plate was a challenge in more ways than one. This started out as a 12" natural edged bowl. I got some large pieces of Almond recently when an Almond grove was cut down. I decided to rough out a NE bowl, it ended up 12" by 4" and with a wall thickness of 1". I should have left it thicker!! The shavings were very wet and it was a delight to turn but as they landed on my bed it started to rust. Whatever is in the sap it certainly rusts steel instantly.

I left the bowl in my workshop wrapped up and weighed it regularly after only 4 weeks it had stopped loosing weight. I left it another week to make sure. There were a couple of small cracks in the walls but a bit of CA soon sorted those. I put it back on the lathe and started to turn it. It was certainly very dry and the chips did not rust the lathe. I did however find that it had moved a long way, much more than the 1" thickness that I had left. Just rounding the outside I went straight through. The base however had moved very little so it became a plate.

It ended up 6" in diameter, 1" thick with a wall thickness of 3/16". Finished with 2 coats of sanding sealer, Renaissance wax and buffed.

The challenge didn't stop there. Trying to take a photo I could not get the camera to focus and as I have no manual focus option I played around with the settings taking over 20 photos before I could get one to come out that was in focus.

Messages In This Thread

Almond plate *PIC*
Re: Almond plate
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081