Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Gary G. , on 500 bowls *PIC*

Keith Tompkins
>Hi Gary, here is one example of how the triangle can be used in a closed or semi-closed form. By inverting the triangle, this pot fills the triangle well, and a good sense of balance is created. Although the triangle method has proved to be a great teaching tool, it has it's own limitations...one formula cannot do it all.

My take on some of the images in the 500 Wood Bowls book...p.163 Bill Luce. Bill has an uncanny way of getting just the right feeling in his pieces. Smmoth, organic form with perfect balance; although this pices doesn't fit the classic golden rectangle, it still works. Note the way this piece floats over the surface, and then continues up to the rim in an uninterrupted flow. Sensuality is a word that comes to mind.

p. 211 Jack deVos. A picture-perfect use of the golden rectangle, and flawless execution. The small beaded foot allows side of the bowl to sweep inward, again creating a sense of lift. This is one of those forms where, by following the basic rules, you cannot miss. Although the grain pattern really adds to this piece, it would still be beautiful even if it were made of particle board. My triangle method would be unappropriate here.

Of the two pieces pictured on p.209 and 214, I prefer the form by Holger Graf on 214. The basic shape is almost a cube, which can be tough to work with. The key to this piece is the foot, and the way it flows right into the straight sides..over half-way up. The bevelled rim invites a peek inside. The turner in this case is working with a form he's comfortable with, and knows how to get the most from it. I could argue that the piece is too tall, but I really do like it just the way it is.

p.310, Phil Brown. This one fits the triangle method . This piece has a dramatic presence....you really want to take a look inside. I've turned a few of these forms myself.

Each one of the pieces you mentioned has a "dynamic" quality about it...I think that's what you noticed about these particular forms. All different, yet each one works. Just by studying these few forms, it's easy to conclude one set of rules cannot be applied to every turning...and why there is no "perfect" form.

Messages In This Thread

Gary G. , on 500 bowls *PIC*
Keith: Re: Gary G. , on 500 bowls
Re: Keith: Re: Gary G. , on 500 bowls
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081