Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
From the Blank Exchange - top view *PIC*

David Breth
>This piece of cherry came to me from Jennifer Shirley through the blank exchange (thanks Mike Cunningham for setting that up). The "free wood" made me want to experiment, so I tried a legged-bowl, along the lines of a bowl posted here several weeks ago. Additionally, sanded using a technique I described a couple of weeks ago, using parafin wax to help the wood fibers stand up. The finish is 4 coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish, and it is easily the smoothest bowl I've done to date (this is bowl #29). I have to be careful picking it up because it wants to slide right out of my hands. The large arches were cut out by hand with a coping saw (which was pretty excruciating), smoothed out with a half-round rasp file, and then sanded to death. The small ones were filed out with a round rasp file.

This bowl was also (what a hockey fan would call) a "kick save and a beauty". Originally I had it mounted with a tenon, but the tenon was too narrow and it snapped off. Somehow I had presence of mind, and enough leg speed to get my foot underneath it, preventing it from smacking the cement floor and rolling all over. Damage was extremely minimal, except I lost my tenon. I got creative with the talon, two sizes of jaws, plus mini-jumbo jaws, and pulled off the save.

I'm not thrilled with the form. The legs should be beneath the bowl, and curved in a cup-like manner, to give the appearance of support (holding it up) rather than being almost straight down the sides and giving the appearance of an upside-down rook. It has no shape. But, it was a first-of-type for me, and it isn't always easy to visualize what your end product will look like (I thought I had it right where I wanted it). Still, overall I was happy with it, especially the finish. Next time I'll do better, but frankly, those legs were unpleasant, and I don't have plans to repeat any time soon.

Comments welcome - I know the form isn't well-executed, so you won't be tromping on my feelings a bit.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081