Turning Archive 2006

From the Blank Exchange - top view *PIC*

David Breth
>This piece of cherry came to me from Jennifer Shirley through the blank exchange (thanks Mike Cunningham for setting that up). The "free wood" made me want to experiment, so I tried a legged-bowl, along the lines of a bowl posted here several weeks ago. Additionally, sanded using a technique I described a couple of weeks ago, using parafin wax to help the wood fibers stand up. The finish is 4 coats of Minwax Antique Oil Finish, and it is easily the smoothest bowl I've done to date (this is bowl #29). I have to be careful picking it up because it wants to slide right out of my hands. The large arches were cut out by hand with a coping saw (which was pretty excruciating), smoothed out with a half-round rasp file, and then sanded to death. The small ones were filed out with a round rasp file.

This bowl was also (what a hockey fan would call) a "kick save and a beauty". Originally I had it mounted with a tenon, but the tenon was too narrow and it snapped off. Somehow I had presence of mind, and enough leg speed to get my foot underneath it, preventing it from smacking the cement floor and rolling all over. Damage was extremely minimal, except I lost my tenon. I got creative with the talon, two sizes of jaws, plus mini-jumbo jaws, and pulled off the save.

I'm not thrilled with the form. The legs should be beneath the bowl, and curved in a cup-like manner, to give the appearance of support (holding it up) rather than being almost straight down the sides and giving the appearance of an upside-down rook. It has no shape. But, it was a first-of-type for me, and it isn't always easy to visualize what your end product will look like (I thought I had it right where I wanted it). Still, overall I was happy with it, especially the finish. Next time I'll do better, but frankly, those legs were unpleasant, and I don't have plans to repeat any time soon.

Comments welcome - I know the form isn't well-executed, so you won't be tromping on my feelings a bit.

David B.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.