Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Flat guy with a question

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
>Hi folks.

I don't wander over here often (from the flat world that is), but I have a question.

I've had a Jet mini with extension bed now for a couple or three years. I rarely use it. I plan to some day but just haven't gotten to that point yet. I need to make some Shaker pegs for part of a project; a peg board to hang a cabinet on I'm pretty much done making. For the heck of it I put a piece of scrap Cherry between the centers a few days ago to give it a shot and to see if I remembered how to turn this thing on... :) It worked fine.

Here's my question though. I know I could go out and spend lots of money and buy all kinds of toys for this little lathe but I don't want to. It occurred to me it would probably be easier to make these things if the stock wasn't between centers. I thought it would be easier if the stock was in one of those chuck thingy's. But I don't want to buy one(!). The problem I had was getting a nice clean rounded end, not the tenon end. So I thought it might be a good idea to take a piece of thick scrap - maybe a couple inches thick, make it roundish, drill a hole in the center, attach it to the face plate thingy, stick my stock into the hole (which would be centered btw), and use a screw to fasten the stock in the hole from the side. Whew. Hope that made sense.

I'm sure this is not a new idea, it's just something that seemed logical. Is it?

Thanks,
Joe

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081