Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Power Buffing?

David Hammond, in Powder Springs GA
>Hi guys:

I've got the Beal system and have enjoyed adding the sheen I can get from this high speed buffing, right off a bowl that I've sanded with Watco. But lately I've been experimenting with some water based laquer - I'm looking for clear, high gloss and a velvety feel. I attempted to put the laquer over Watco, which according to the manufacture should be possible. But, alas, when I tried to buff the laquer, beginnning with the Tripoli, the laquer buffed right off. So, I'm assuming I have an adhesion problem, one that Target Coatings says can be solved by simply using their water based compatible shellac/barrier coat. My real question is not about the adhesion, I can experiment well enough with that (although chime in if you guys know something I don't!) but about power buffing - can I buff a laquer finish, water based or solvent, with the high speed Beall system? If that's possible, will that attain the same kind of effect a hand rubbed laquer finish will - high gloss, and a smooth feel? I ask becuase I'm not 100% sure that adhesion was my problem, and becuase I didn't think the furniture building industry used such high speed buffing equipment, on a table top for example.

Any thoughts about achieving a smooth, glossy finish with some sort of power buffing equipment would be much appreciated!

Tia,
David

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081