Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Securing segmented turning - first time effort *PIC*

David Lykins - Marietta GA - guitardude
>I've got another questions on turning this segmented Urn I'm making for my roommate. This is my first attempt at turning any type of segmented piece. Things went well when I first mounted the urn on my lathe spindle plate and then applied a scrap piece of wood with double sided tape on the open end to but up againts the tailstock to stablize it. However, when I removed the urn from my lathe after I turned the outside, I noticed that the screws securing the spindle plate had loosened a tad. Since I was ready to start hollowing out the inside, I assume I needed larger and longer screws to re-mount the piece onto my lathe in order to turun it without any support from the tailstock.

So I go to Home Depot, pick up some #14 x 1-1/2" screws to mount the spindle plate onto the bottom of the urn. I drill three larger and deeper holes into the bottom of the urn (its Jatoba) and begin to mount the spindle plate. Just when I'm about to get the spindle plated secure and flat againts the bottom of the urn the head on one of the screws breaks off, then as I tighten the other one it breatks off.

OK, I'm basically done for that day as I'm frustrated and figured all I'd do now is screw it up more.

Anyway, here's how I figure I'll proceed, I'll go buy some more screws, drill new holes (and larger holes) in the bottom of the urn, and file/grind off the old screws before I mount the spindle plate.

However, my concern is, will those screws hold the urun for turning without coming loose, or am I going to some sort of support (like a steady rest) in order to turn the inside of the urn? The urn is about nine inches in diameter and bout 11 inches high. The picture shows the (only) plate that I have at this time and the size and length of the screws I had intended on using. As much as I'd like to have one, I don't have a bowl chuck, but its been on my wish list for quite a while.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081