Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
What a great afternoon! *PIC*

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>It was my pleasure yesterday to spend the afternoon with our own JKJ; A.K.A. John K. Jordan at his ranch near Clinton, TN. I was finally able to deliver some hickory lumber to John that I had been promising him for several months.

Once I got there, we had the opportunity to play with his new LT 15 Woodmizer. I had brought some respectable chunks of Slippery Elm, and a big Bradford pear crotch with about 5 branches in it. We proceeded over the course of a couple of hours to slab everything into 3" to 4" pieces. What fun!

The highlight of the day was when John gave me a Persimmon crotch to take home and then suggested that we go ahead and take out the pith while I was there. This led to flattening the round sides, which gave me 2 beautiful slabs of crotch wood. Unfortunately, there was a bark inclusion running the length of one piece, but I was expecting that given the angle of the two trunks.

Anyway, I have a sentimental attachment to Persimmon, so that makes these 2 pieces extra special, along with the 2 he gave me that he cut several months ago. Persimmon is the first tree that I ever cut up for turning wood, as well as the first turning wood that I ever sold, after a good sized tree fell across my driveway. Wally and Ellis both ended up with a piece of that tree.

As the man says; "If you look up 'nice feller' in the dictionary, you'll find John's picture!

Gary

Below you see the fruits of our labors.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081