Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Cutting Crotchwood On The Lathe

George Van in WI
>Since the subject for chat Wednesday night is a platter, I thought I would mention this method of cutting a crotch. I am not that good at centering the three piths when cutting crotches with a chainsaw and waste too much feather at times. I had a 16 walnut crotch that was given to me by a friend and wanted to get the most out of it. Instead of chain sawing the pith I cleaned up the crotch section with the chainsaw saving one slab for a 12 bowl. I then put the crotch log section on the lathe between centers with the piths spinning perpendicular to the bed. I adjusted the log on centers till it was balanced as well as possible and started to true the crotch. When I was able to get a good view of the three pith centers I started repositioning the log between centers till all three piths were aligned on the same pencil mark. I then turned the log till smooth at which time I used my McNaughton straight knife (parting blade) to part the log through the piths to within an inch or so of center. I finished parting with a handsaw. I then remounted the two blanks between centers and roughed ads usual. These are the best results I have had getting two blanks out of a single crotch, the Anchorseal clouds the figure. Hope this helps someone who needs an alternative method. George

14 Walnut Platter Blank

15 Walnut platter Blank

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081