Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
On a wing and a prayer! (Long)

Gary Evans Tallassee, TN
>With a little luck, I'll be heading out tomorrow for the Desert Woodturning symposium. I should have been gone today, but my wife has come down with what we assume is the same virus that slowed me down this weekend. Unfortunately, it has whacked her a lot harder than it hit me. I'm hoping that with a good night's sleep, she'll be back on the rails shortly. I can't leave her if she's down, as somebody has to feed the wood furnace and I'm not going to ask her to do that between trips to the john.

Whatever time I leave tomorrow, it's going to be a push to get to AZ by Friday afternoon to get set-up. Unfortunately, I'm forced to drive a buggy that can't really be pushed, an '88 Isuzu Trooper with 278K on the meter. Suzy has all the heart in the world, but she doesn't make a lot of HP.

Anyway, wish me luck and send some prayers my way over the next few days. I have a feeling I'm going to need all the help that I can get on this trip.

I'm still looking at the weather to decide which way to go, but the atlas I'm looking at shows the fastest route to be I-40 across TN to I-30 in Little Rock, thence to I-20 in Dallas, from there to I-10 south of Pecos, TX and finally into Phoenix. I'd be interested in hearing from folks along that route if you see this. I'll have my wife check the thread for the next few days. I might have to drop by and camp for a day or two if I run into mechanical problems. Fortunately, I will be hauling turning wood with which to repay any kindnesses.

If you are going to the symposium, come by the Talasi Hardwoods booth and say hello. I love to meet folks from WC.

Next stop, Mesa,
Gary

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081