Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Stubby bearings

Ed Moore
>At the same time that I moved to SW Virginia I purchased a Stubby 500, which is no longer imported into the USA. It was purchased used, with sufficient wear that I chose to replace the belt before I used it very much. Now the headstock heats up sufficiently that I am concerned that I did something wrong in the belt replacement process. It may be exactly the same as before the belt change, I simply don't know.

In the thread where George Troy gave his excellent review of the Robust lathe he just got, I asked a question to see if the Robust has any heat issues. Brent gave a great response and mentioned the heavy duty 6300 series bearings that he puts in the Robust. So my question to Brent becomes, "Is it possible/feasible to replace the Stubby bearings with the 6300 type bearing?"

My main lathe use is on a Oneway 1018. I'm getting ready to turn 14 collection plates for our new church building on the Stubby 500 and I'm a little nervous about the Stubby making it through. There's plenty of time, so I don't have to make it a full bore production situation.

So, I guess I'm also asking if Stubbys have problems with heat in the headstock bearings and if so, how big a problem is it?

Thanks,

Ed

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081