Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Perfectionism

Carole Valentine
>In my rambles around the net, I have seen pictures of pieces that folks have turned in preparation for shows, etc. that show obvious defects even in the photos (tool marks, sanding marks, lumpy/dusty finishes, poor form) which you can pretty well assume would be even worse in real life. Yet these folks sell their wares, apparently with some fair degree of success. I also see pieces that look like you could not find a defect with an electron microscope! My question, for those of you who are successful in selling your work, is where do you draw the line? Do you require a piece to be absolutely perfect in every aspect before you will let it be sold? Is there a line in the sand, so to speak, that you will not cross? If a piece is not perfect in your mind, do you sell it anyway but adjust the price accordingly?
I don't know that I have ever turned a single piece that I could not find something, no matter how small, that I thought could have been done better. I don't know that I ever will, because that just seems to be my nature. If that is the case, I will never sell anything! Is this a stumbling block that all of you had to cross somewhere in your turning career?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081