Turning Archive 2006

Carole Valentine
>In my rambles around the net, I have seen pictures of pieces that folks have turned in preparation for shows, etc. that show obvious defects even in the photos (tool marks, sanding marks, lumpy/dusty finishes, poor form) which you can pretty well assume would be even worse in real life. Yet these folks sell their wares, apparently with some fair degree of success. I also see pieces that look like you could not find a defect with an electron microscope! My question, for those of you who are successful in selling your work, is where do you draw the line? Do you require a piece to be absolutely perfect in every aspect before you will let it be sold? Is there a line in the sand, so to speak, that you will not cross? If a piece is not perfect in your mind, do you sell it anyway but adjust the price accordingly?
I don't know that I have ever turned a single piece that I could not find something, no matter how small, that I thought could have been done better. I don't know that I ever will, because that just seems to be my nature. If that is the case, I will never sell anything! Is this a stumbling block that all of you had to cross somewhere in your turning career?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.