Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
How is a Jet 1220VS (DC motor) Supposed to Sound?

Philip Morris
>Placed an order for a Jet 1220VS on Tuesday of this past week and it was drop shipped to my office on Friday from Jet. (BTW, ordered it from McGivern Hydraulics, Doug Thompson's friend/associate - see the links page on Thompson Lathe Tools. They offer true free shipping and their price is around $20 less than most others. Good people, too.)

Anyway, Unpacked the lathe and started it up. Was floored to find it was sooooo quiet. I believe that it is quiter than my Oneway 1640!

My Question:
Is it normal for the DC motor to make kindof a "tickety-tickety" sound, almost like a sewing machine?

When I manually turn the handwheel in the direction of rotation, you can hear a faint "rrrrrrrm" sound from the motor, similar to the noise a car starter makes when the battery is dead an you try to start it. I ran it with the drive belt disconnected from the spindle pulley and it makes the same noise, so it is definitely the motor.

It's not a terrible sound, nor is it very loud. But it is noticable and I just wanted to make sure it is nothing that needs to be addressed.

Also, as many on the forums have noted, the ON/OFF switches are bad. Mine has already stuck ON once. Think I will resource a replacement locally, rather than having Jet send another bad one.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081