Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
MYRTLE TURNING

CARL BARTON
>I am pretty new to turning,my wife bought me a mini lathe for my birthday back in March. Since that time I have found turning a great joy in my lathe. Since my surgery in Jan my pending retirment from the Navy after 33 years I have been very fortunate that my health is now great, but I find I have allot of time on my hands while I wait for my offical retirment date. So I spend about 7 hours a day on my new toy.
I have been trying all sorts of wood and a few days ago I bought a new piece of Myrtle wood from my local wood store. Never having turned Myrtle I thought I would try turning a lidded box since it had a very nice color to it with some VERY nice rays as well.
I turned the 4 x 4 x 10 piece of wood to a cylinder and then proceded to part it for my lidded. Once I that was completed I decided to stop for the day.
This morning I went out to the shop and my heart sank. The lid portion of the box had cracks from the out side to the center and the base had a large amount of cracks as well. Before I started I noticed some small cracks in the piece and I had cut several inches off both ends thinking that would elevate the cracks from the rest of the peice.
So my question is what did I do wrong? Was the wood not cured? I have no idea what I can use this wood for now other than practicing with my tools on the piece.
Carl

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081