Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Variety is the spice of life...

steve antonucci
>at least in my opinion.

For a club to be a valuable resource to everyone, I think you need to mix it up. I belong to two clubs, and one has a good mix of "demo", show and tell, adminstrivia, and presentation without the lathe running. The other one is still working on the mix, since it is a new group.

I personally think that the more advanced the group is, the less "demo" you might want. If I know how to cut a bowl, I may not come to a meeting if we're just going to watch someone cut a bowl. If I've never cut a bowl, showing some advanced topics might be way over my head. You need balance at every meeting.

One of the things that I think every club should do is set aside a few minutes for "hands on with the experts". Having a few minutes with someone who knows how to sharpen or use a bowl gouge helps the beginners integrate much quicker and more safely. I've spent 10 minutes with a guy at Five Barns who only turns once a year, and I have gotten him to produce long ribbons of wood. Even if it's only once a quarter, having a hands on for the masses is probably the most valuable thing a club can offer.

Steven

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081