Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Nova 1624 "review"

steve antonucci
>Has any one here actually upgraded from a Nova 3K to a Nova 1624? I was in a Woodcraft yesterday, and I believe that the new 1624 is a substantial upgrade from my inspection.

The first thing that struck me was the casting for the headstock. I don't know the exact measurement, but qualitatively, it looked and felt substantially thicker. In general, I think that can be said about the entire lathe. The ways and tailstock were also thicker. All of this extra mass will mean stiffness.

The tailstock side od the ways also included a double bolt hold for the legs. My 3K has a single set of holes, and I always thought that was dumb. I think the extra set of holes will help in stiffening up the ways, and it seems like they got it right now.

Finally, the entire motor assembly seems much larger. My Nova had a 1 HP motor, and I upgraded it to a 1.5 HP a few years back. They start at 1.5 HP these days.

I have to say that I was impressed, and I have always been a fan. Without having spent any time with my hands on the lathe, the pictures always gave the impression it was just a repacked 3K. I think that is completely wrong, and anyone looking for a great lathe for $1000 should go get a 1624.

Free advice, worth what you paid for it...

Steven

Messages In This Thread

Nova 1624 "review"
Re: Nova 1624 "review"
Re: We have come a long way........
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081