Turning Archive 2008

Subject:
Re: Sevin and bees
Response To:
Re: Sevin and bees ()

Carole Valentine
>You are right - spraying anything in all these woods surrounding my house is a daunting task and one that I just could not accomplish. Nor could I mow - the trees are just too close together and I don't have a mower for that anyway. As beautiful as deer are, I have come to the conclusion that the population needs to be brought under control. Everyone just wants to hunt bucks - they should make you tag at least 3 does before you are allowed to tag a buck. That might help. Deer-car crashes are another HUGE problem here. It's not a question of "if" it's going to happen to you - it's just "when"!
Speaking of itching from tick bites, when my brother's border collie was lost a few of years ago, I was tramping through the heart of the forest down near the swamp looking for her. I was in the woods for about 3 hours. When I got out, I immediately went home and stripped to do a tick search. I had 180 bites from seed ticks that were so small you could barely see them. Talk about itch! I nearly went insane. The doctor put me on antibiotics and gave me some specially mixed antihistamine cream, but it didn't do a lot for the itch. I think that was the episode that sensitized me to them.
Unfortunately, my neighborhood does not allow any type of poultry or fowl and I don't expect they would last long anyway - too many foxes and hawks. The coyote population is becoming established as well.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081