Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
yes, but... *PIC*

JohnKJordan in East TN
>>So you could conceivably have two goblets?
>That is if you had a large enough space between
>the turning axis and the bed.

JL,

Yes, I considered that. For the 1642, making a couple of cups or small bowls instead would eliminate the need for a long stem. Seems like turning a long piece end over end on a big lathe would provide a certain amount of entertainment, or perhaps terror. Grain splitting off the trailing edge might get worse with a long stick. (BTW, wood choice is important for this kind of turning.)

However, I think there is another reason to keep the distance from the drive center to the endgrain curve as short as possible. The longer the distance, the "flatter" the endgrain curve will be (when viewed from the side, parallel to the first turning axis). The more extreme that curve, the more extreme the compound curved surface of the lip of a piece like this one.

A couple of things I forgot to mention:
1, instead starting with a cylinder, I actually left flats on the sided of the blank to make it easier to mount sideways between centers. 2, when remounting between centers to cut the tenon, I used a chisel to flatten small spots in the endgrain on both ends to properly seat the centers. I forgot to carry the flat spot through to the other illustrations.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081