Turning Archive 2007

Subject:
Re: Tool Handles
Response To:
Tool Handles ()

Fog Tanner
>I make all my tool handles. They are made from mainly Ash, Pecan,or Red Oak - mainly Ash becuase it is cheapest in my part of the world. Cherry and Walnut would be good too, I die some of my Ash handles walnut. On skews I make the end more or less flat, on the gouges and scrapers, I round then over to be able to tell the difference. All have been the traditional "coke bottle" shape, and sized to fit my hand.

I have started using brass threded inserts to hold the tools in after using my Kelton handle, that came with my McNaughton coring tool, for my 5/8" Thompson. I have both a handle for my Thompson skews and another for 1/2" gouges that use the set screws. I am working on one for 5/8" gouges now. Its drilled from both ends to accept lead shot. This one is basicly straight, partially because of being drilled from both ends and not wanting a weak handle.

Without the setscrews, my other handles are dilled a few thousnads under the tool diameter and the tool is an interfearence fit. I did have a couple of couges that were undersize and used 30min epoxy to hold them in.But, I like the idea of removing the steel for sharpening, especially a bowl gouge with a long handle.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081