Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Re: A rising level ...... sorry, a little long

Brad Vietje
>Great question... and a delicate one.

I read through a bunch of replies, and had a hard time deciding where to add my 2 cents. I agree with what Ellis, John and Barbara are expressing, and also what Jamie writes below (the way I see the posts). I have not seen any evidence of snobbery here, and I think what some people perceive as snobbery at WoW's is a high standard of quality in both the turned work and the photography.

I make quite a few encouraging replies, especially to posts from beginners, but sometimes I steal a quick peak at a few interesting posts when I'm waiting for a call back, or when I really should be doing something else ! I often find I'm running late, and figure I'll add a comment later -- and sometimes life prevents that "later" from coming true. Other days, I'll make 10 or 12 comments, and start to feel like I'm posting too much.

I also agree with Jamie Donaldson that the number of views is no measure of anything other than confirming a popular topic, or the three letters "pic", which always get quite a few looks. Unfortunately, some really provocative and excellent questions are asked, or points made, which don't get as many views because they don't have an attached picture, so it goes both ways.

I think its just the luck of timing, but bouncing off Keith's comment, I feel more comfortable commenting on a newbie post if they invite it, or if I have some sense of who they are and how open they are to constructive comments. I sometimes write "Atta go" or "nice job", but without a few more details, these can fall a bit flat, too. I think it could be perceived as snobbery or maybe patroniziation for me to just presume that a newbie wants or needs my advice and/or bias without being asked for it.

I think one approach would be to for WC veterans thank a newcomer to the forum for posting a photo, and asking a few questions of them to get some dialog going. I remember very well what my first bowl and first hollow form looked like (of course I kept them), and how much pride someone has in completing their first (or fifth) bowl, peppermill or chair leg, and compliment them on the work they've done and invite them to come back often.

Safe spinning,

Brad Vietje
Newbury, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081