Turning Archive 2006

Subject:
Don't mean to lean

Ellis Walentine
>I hear your concern, Rick, and you're welcome to open that subject for discussion. Though I am an avid turner, I can't be in here every day, so I may not have my finger on the pulse of the turning forum to the extent that you do. I've observed over the years that discussions have a life of their own. The number of views reflects the willingness of visitors to share in someone's work and to respond if they feel inclined or particularly if they are invited by the poster to do so.

When someone like John posts a photo of a variety of small bowls, no doubt he is pleased with his output, and normally a lot of people would weigh in with words of encouragement. To an extent, whether you consider yourself to be a regular or a newbie here on the forum, it is fair to expect folks to say something when you post a picture. For whatever reason, though, it doesn't always happen. Sometimes, the photo is too small or of poor quality, so the pieces aren't displayed to advantage. It's hard to comment if you can't really see the form or the scale or the level of finish, so I suspect a lot of people chose the better part of valor, rather than praise the work for the sake of praising it.

Whether we like it or not, superior work always gets more comments (gotta watch that word "always":-), because it inspires people. We're naturally inclined to be thoughtful and spportive of those less experienced or less skilled than ourselves, but sometimes it's hard to come up with the kind of praise that person would like to have. With the high number of posts on this forum, it's natural for me to assume that people are picking and choosing their responses carefully.

I hope I'm right.

Cheers,
Ellis Walentine, Host

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081