Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Re: Life Expectancy of a Oneway Live Center?

Fog Tanner
>Jennifer, Mine had play in it in less that one year. It doesn't matter if there is a load on it or not. You can send it back to Oneway and the will put the same bearings in it that went away. I am looking at making a wrench for mine and replacing the bearings myself. The reatining ring requires a special wrench to gain acces to the bearings. After that, it is no big deal to remove and replace the bearings. And good bearing supply house will have a suitable bearing for you application. In the meantime I bought an Axminster live center that does not have any play. I have talked to a number of other people with the same live center as we have and they have the same problem. Some of those were new live centers too. Right now I use the Oneway for roughing and the Axminster for work that matters.

I think it is the bearings that are used, I have had other applications that had a higher lateral load on smaller bearings that never developed lateral play. If you read the Oneway site, they have a note about the play. There are some bearings with different races for different loading. But, I can crank mine down to the point that the center is buried in the wood and still move the piece from side to side. Not really what I would expect from a $100 live center.

Fog

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081