Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
It's a personal agenda to change your city's name.

Al Crandall- NE of Indy
>Don't you think Clearview sounds much more upscale than Longview? Come on, help me out here. (This won't make sense later because I can go back and edit that booboo.)
I boiled the roughout for 3 plus hours and alcohol soaked it for eight days. It took about a month for it to dry while wrapped in brown painter's masking paper. The urn has about 4 or 5 coats of Watco natural Danish oil and then buffed with Rockler's version of the Beall system. I didn't use the wax yet because I think I'm going to have to go back and resand the finish. It seemed to "tear" or ripple up when I buffed it in a couple of places. I think it might not have been fully cured. The finish seemed to take forever to dry because the piece soaked it up like a sponge. The inside was wetted to about 50% while I was still brushing the first coat on the outside so I poured a cup into it and sloshed it around. Subsequent coats were very slow to dry. The wood turned like a dream with no tearout and emitted a faint pleasant sweet aroma. It was cracking radially like you wouldn't believe when I started. I lost about 3 inches off each end and about 3 to 4 inches off the diameter before I found reasonably sound wood. There was barely enough to make the threaded foot from, let alone any pen blanks.

Messages In This Thread

Dave Smith, here is what became of that madrone.
When did Longview change to Clearview?
It's a personal agenda to change your city's name.
Dave - move to Clearview
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081