Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Re: Can't have too many salad bowl posts.

Barry Irby
>I turned a set of 8 and a big bowl out of Bradford Pear. They wee cutting up a storm damaged tree in the median strip and I slammed on brakes and asked for the logs. They looked at me as if I were crazy, but loaded the wood into the car, probably fearing I was an ax murderer or something.

I turned a set of matching bowls from six different types of wood. They liked the sort of "color coding" it gave them.

Any fairly fine grained hardwood will be fine. I have turned many bowls green to finish. I like the warping. Seems to give them character to me. I also find that if you rough them ans wait a few weeks, you can cancel out a lot of the warping.

As you develop your "eye" you will find it both easier and harder to make them match. You will get better and they will match better, but your eye will be more sensitive and YOU will see defects you or your customer may not have noticed before. I make a cardboard or plywood "c" that sets the diameter. I make it deep enough that I can put it over the bowl either way to check the diameter. You are right about the pattern. Some of mine look like a quarter of a circle that I just touch to the outside of the bowl. Some look like a J so that the inside of the long leg of the j touches the top of the bowl and the curl wraps around the outside. This keeps the pattern part inside the curl oriented exactly the same way, if you follow me.

If you get them all the same diameter and height, no one eating salad will be able to tell the difference, especially if she is serving wine. Long neck beer drinkers won't notice either, because long necks make especially poor goggles. I don't know, but I don't think beer drinkers eat a lot of salad or care what they eat it out of anyway.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081