Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Re: a little magic + How To........
Response To:
a little magic *PIC* ()

Ruth Niles
>John, you really did a wonderful job. A few years ago I posted directions for turning "magic" wands in response to a query. I retrieved it to copy here. For those who never saw this, hope you enjoy it.

"It all depends on what kind of magic you're talking about. "Black
Magic" would need to be made from wood like ebony or black walnut.

It's best to drill a hole in the blank, pour the magic in and glue a
plug in the hole. You don't want Black Magic seeping out and floating around your shop. It's not food safe and just might settle on a bowl blank. Don't apply a sealer finish, it takes the magic too long to penetrate when the owner wishes to use it's power.

If you want a stardust, pumpkin-changing magic wand, you can use almost any wood. The magic is poured into a pre-drilled hole in the bottom, same as above. This magic wand can have a sealer finish because you will drill very, very tiny holes around the top so when the owner waves the wand, the magic floats out like a spray of stars. This magic is food safe so no disclaimer is needed.

The length of any wand must be in proportion to the owners' height
(this is required by child-safety regulations; they could poke their eye out). A 15" magic wand is your standard
government-approved length for children over 6 yr. of age.

It's not a good idea to turn a lot of beads and coves as it plays down the "magic", which likes to be the dominating feature of the wand.

Hope this helps. I've made several but they just disappear at night
after I lock up the shop."

Ruth

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081