Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Re: How to reverse chuck a hollow form?

John Lucas
>Bill

I use two methods. If the neck is fairly tough I take a scrap piece of wood mounted to a faceplate and turn it to fit the neck opening. I make it snug enough to drive the piece. If I'm too concerned about making it this tight then I make it fit without any slop and use blue painters masking tape to "lock" it to the mandrel. Then I put the tailstock in place and turn it with the tailstock there until there is just a little cone left that I can carve off. You may have to adjust the tailcenter to get it centered perfectly before tightening it.

If the bottom is thin I use a cone center without the center pin and just leave a bigger area to carve away.

If the neck is too fragile I make a really long mandrel out of scrap that will fit all the way to the bottom of the vessel. I put 220 grit paper on this and use it to drive the vessel with the tail stock in place.

I had one very small opening vessel that neither of these methods would work so I turned a concave are that would let the shoulders of the vessel sit inside. I turned a small pin in the center to fit my small hole in the vessel and then taped all this together. It took quite a bit more time to do accurately but worked perfectly.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081