Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
YES -- But

Brad Vietje
>Well, there are a lot of people who say they get just as sharp an edge on the longer wearing steels, and it seems like the edge will hold up well if you prepare a good edge to begin with.

However, the steel IS more brittle -- meaning it will break under conditions where a softer steel would bend. I am in the habit of checking for round when roughing cylinders with the back of my roughing gouge. One day I was rounding up a nearly triangular segment of firewood (curly Maple), and thought it was pretty nearly round. When I applied the back of my new 3/4" roughing gouge to the spinning wood, instead of getting a clock-clock-clock sound telling me there was still a flat section, I got a very loud PING ! and most of the expensive 2060 steel went over my head and landed on the floor behind me -- the handle, and about 1/2" of tang was still in my hand.

BTW: It was a Hamlet tool I bought from Jacques Coulombe, in Montreal, PQ, Canada, who cheerfully replaced the tool -- nice guy. I've been using the replacement gouge for about 2 years, and like it very much -- though as Lyn Mangiamelli suggested in one of his tool reviews, they probably ought to re-design the tang on some tools to accomodate the more brittle steel alloys. I've had no trouble with a PM detail gouge, or another 2060 bowl gouge.

Safe Spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081