Turning Archive 2005

YES -- But

Brad Vietje
>Well, there are a lot of people who say they get just as sharp an edge on the longer wearing steels, and it seems like the edge will hold up well if you prepare a good edge to begin with.

However, the steel IS more brittle -- meaning it will break under conditions where a softer steel would bend. I am in the habit of checking for round when roughing cylinders with the back of my roughing gouge. One day I was rounding up a nearly triangular segment of firewood (curly Maple), and thought it was pretty nearly round. When I applied the back of my new 3/4" roughing gouge to the spinning wood, instead of getting a clock-clock-clock sound telling me there was still a flat section, I got a very loud PING ! and most of the expensive 2060 steel went over my head and landed on the floor behind me -- the handle, and about 1/2" of tang was still in my hand.

BTW: It was a Hamlet tool I bought from Jacques Coulombe, in Montreal, PQ, Canada, who cheerfully replaced the tool -- nice guy. I've been using the replacement gouge for about 2 years, and like it very much -- though as Lyn Mangiamelli suggested in one of his tool reviews, they probably ought to re-design the tang on some tools to accomodate the more brittle steel alloys. I've had no trouble with a PM detail gouge, or another 2060 bowl gouge.

Safe Spinning,

Brad Vietje
Thetford, VT

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.