Turning Archive 2005

Subject:
Re: Glue Block Ratio
Response To:
Glue Block Ratio ()

John Lucas
>Your problem is not the size of the platter. It's either your parting technique or the wood you use as a glue block. I made 7 12" platters last year using 3" pine glue blocks. I would not suggest pine but this was a heavy solid type of pine.

I always reverse turn my platters so I glue the block on with CA glue. When I'm done with all but the foot I break the glue joint using a chisel. Then I reverse the piece and turn the foot.

When I do need to part off a platter I part it down to about an inch and use a saw with the lathe off to finish the cut.

Now to turn the bottom I use one of 3 ways. I have a large piece of wood mounted on a faceplate that I can turn a shallow recess to fit the outside of the platter. Then I use blue painters masking tape to hole it on the wood. Sometimes I use surgical tubing to hold it.

Another way is to use the large jaws designed for this purpose by the different chuck companies. The only problem with this is it requires a lathe with a larger swing than your platter diameter. My jaws expand out to about 17" so I can only do platters 15" or smaller.

The way I use most often now is a vacuum chuck. This holds the platter on the vacuum chuck. Because I make my own chucks they can be any size. It usually only takes a 6" chuck to do most platters up to 12".

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081