Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Re: Stebcenter
Response To:
Stebcenter ()

RonZ
>Chinese copy - junk. Besides the teeth aren't sharp, the center point popped out and is missing.

Stebcenter - It's all I use now [anybody want to buy some used 4 prongs?]. While I confess that I'm a dealer here in Israel but I base my business on only selling products which I use. The 1/2" is a great start if you are positive that you're doing only real small items. Otherwise the 7/8" covers most ground. I have all three sizes along with a live center for the tail stock and another one that will fit in a chuck so I don't have to remove it. I used the 1 1/4" to turn 12"x12"x30" between centers to make meeting table pillars. To really apreciate how good the Stebcenters are you need a descritption of the pillars. This was a square made of 2" thick slabs of cherry and ash, filled with pine. The stebcenter slipped only once and it could have been because I didn't tighten it right. After tightening it did all 7 pillars without a hitch. Besides being safer than a 4 prong, if you're skilled, you can remove and replace your work while the lathe is running.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081