Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Re: wall thickness(long)
Response To:
wall thickness ()

Bob Hackett
>The answer is,the wall thickness should be consistant and appropriate to the form.
Thin walls will impress other turners but seem to scare off buyers.Most customers tell me that a light bowl seems too fragile to use.There is also the impression that more mass(where appropriate)means more value.
Some of the burl pieces I turn that have alot of voids need a thicker wall(3/8+) in order to stay together.The form on these pieces are mostly squat and look visually heavy and massive
Afew of the pieces with insect holes that are otherwise sound I turn to 1/16th or less so the holes will be pierced thru.These forms are uplifted and look like they can float away.
In each case the wall thickness/weight of the piece is appropriate to the visual impact of the piece.

I finish turned a piece of birdseye maple recently that had some large eyes and excellent curl thru it.It also had two bark inclusions running parallel to the grain.This rough (with 3 inch thick walls due to the inclusions) was soaked with CA at the bark and had sat on the shelf for 6+ years before I felt it has time to return it to the lathe.Thinking the glue would hold it I turned a short,squat closed form and was originally going to hollow to about 1/4 thick wall.
When I began to work on the inside I noticed the eyes looked like bubbles rising thru water in the side grain.If I hollowed as I had planned I would lose that figure.The piece ended up having 2"+ wall thickness and was VERY heavy both visually and weight wise(they don`t call it rock maple for nothing).It was a first for me and I figured if it didn`t sell at the gallery I could always just hollow it and sacrifice the figure I was so fond of.It lasted 3 days at almost twice the price of my utility bowls.
Just when you think you`ve got it all figured out,along comes another curve you never saw coming.

Mainely,Bob

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081