Turning Archive 2004

Subject:
Re: Wish I'd thought of this sooner

Peter Teubel
>I tend to produce ALOT of shavings and I really don't like to stop and shovel every couple hours. Not because I'm a neat freak, but after a couple hours of turning I simply cannot walk in my shop.

I happened upon a huge dust collector from a woodworking shop locally. The impeller is 24" in diameter and made of 1/4" thick steel. Very heavy duty. I attached a old 2hp motor that originally came with my big lathe.

I built a collection chute, of sorts, and its connected to 9" duct.

After some tests, I had to boost the speed on the impeller because the motor I installed didn't seem to be fast enough (1750rpm). So I have an 8" pulley on the motor driving a 4" pulley on the main shaft.

I then cut a hole thru the wall of my garage/shop and fabricated a pipe so I could mount some flex hose.

All the shavings then go into my 4x4x8 trailer for a quick 1 mile trip to my town's local recycling area. I just have to remove one hose clamp and its selerated from the building....ready for travel. I cut a 20" hole on the side and attached an old DC bag for the exhaust.

Now it takes me about 60 seconds to sweep up the shavings into the chute and...POOF....they are gone. Back to work in a jiffy.

NOTE: I do have to sweep the shavings across my shop to the chute. I originally had it ducted around the back wall and the chute was closer to my big lathe. But the 9" duct pipe would pick the worst time to collapse under the load from the collector. Granted it was only HVAC duct, not industrial duct work, but the idea was to do it on the cheap. The short duct now in place handles the suction with no problems.
The only issue is the fact one has to wear ear protection when its operating. VERY LOUD!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081