Turning Archive

Subject:
Re: Fat pine?
Response To:
Re: Fat pine? ()

Mike Stafford
You, of course, know that North Carolinians are called Tar Heels because of pine tar resin business that prospered in this state during the late 1700's when N.C. produced more than 70% of the pine tar and 50% of the turpentine for the colonies. Naval stores as they were called was the main industry in N.C.

Where I live was on the westernmost edge of the long leaf pine growing range. There are still long leaf pines to be found but not as abundantly as they once were. I can see three from my kitchen table as I look across the golf course.

Surprisingly these hugely tall pines weather hurricanes very well. I guess they were adapted to sway rather than break. I have seen many do just that during the hurricanes that have passed through the area. Tornadoes are a different matter as twisters do just that and twist the tops right off these towering trees.

I cannot imagine moving these timbers. I have even more trouble imagining how they were cut, processed, transported and erected to build this huge warehouse. I was pretty content with a couple of 4 foot sections from one of the smaller joists. It took two men and a boy to unload it when I got it home.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081