Hand Tools Archive 2006

Subject:
VBM and Etc..

Todd Hughes
>First VBM which stands for "Very Best Made" was just a logo that Sargent used on all thier tools from 1909 -1918 ...it is NOT a seperate line of planes and doesn't stand for a special high quality line of tools.Only means they were made between 1909 -1918. I've seen this logo on other Sargent tools like screwdrivers. Is like the sweet heart logo used by Stanley.
The Sargent plane you are talking about as somone else said is a Sargent Shaw's Patent plane. While the results are simular [easy to adjust solid bedded frog] to a Stanley Bedrock the frog and plane is a good bit differet. These planes are numbered from 7 [7in. long] to 24 [24 in. long] The regular Sargents have a 40 in front of thier numbers which corospond to how long they are too. These Shaw patent planes were only made from 1910-18 so you can see that all of them would have been VBM planes but...again not all VBM planes are Shaws Patent planes Right?
...I have a couple of these things somwhere, I would rate them as being uncommon to find. Most are probably worth about the same as a Stanley Bedrock at least they "book" about the same [maybe a bit lower]. Might be harder to sell a so so one as less people are looking for them as users. I think one of the things about them is that they look very simular to a regular Sargent unless you look behind the frog so alot of them probably get overlooked in the wild. I know one of the ones I found the only reason I noticed it was because I was standing at an auction waiting and just happened to look a little closer at a non descript plane and saw what it was. Would have been better marketing for Sargent if they used a distinctive lever cap / name or body style like Stanley did on thier Bedrocks I think.....Todd

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081