Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Several tasks mentioned
Response To:
Several tasks mentioned ()

David Weaver
Bill, a couple of things:
* this question was about hand lapping. Blue zirconia is wasted there.
* you don't want to use salvage belts on a lap - you can't get it flat enough or secure enough to a surface with reasonable effort. You want (not you, but others) PSA roll. The grits I mentioned (80 grit for a plane bottom is fine and the smartness of the grooves can be knocked off with hand sanding using 180 or 220 grit as long as the lines go with the direction of the plane)
* the same psa rolls are ideal for hand grinding the back of an iron.

As you mention small pits being a problem, it's because of what you're using. I don't choose badly pitted irons for a different reason - by the time you remove the metal from the back, you're changing the shape of the iron.

But it takes me a matter of a couple of minutes to prep a subpar plane iron and to set up a vintage plane iron that was never flat in the first place, probably not more than 5-10 minutes on average. I prepped a mexico stanley iron in a couple of minutes on a video last week. It wasn't selected, it was just random out of a box.

What's recommended on a power sander and what's recommended on a lap as joe asked about are vastly different - that was my point. All of the tech docs in the world won't help with this as it's not something done industrially.

This run of paper is also good for primary grinding for someone who doesn't want to have a grinder.

3V for a plane iron wouldn't be my choice because the vanadium carbides don't offer appropriate gain in woodworking - they resist common abrasives but don't outperform chromium as far as wear resistance goes (as seen by matching 3V with AEB-L and bettering it with XHP). But I don't use any of that stuff on a regular basis - AEB-L has potential. This is different when you use hand tools for dimensioning - something that grinds slowly and holds its wire edge hard is intolerable.

The setup I'm talking about pays off for just about everything - old moulding planes, chisels, used plane irons, setting up the undercut on a cap iron -all of it is done at great speed and it's no longer an obstacle.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081