Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Pretty...
Response To:
Re: Razee *PIC* ()

David Weaver
.the big oddballs are always pretty. Bill and I have a side discussion (I know he's not prissy and won't mind me disclosing it) about things like paring chisels.

I have no interest in opening a business and will never sell more out of my garage than the tools cost, but I know if I were going to try to get people to buy tools, I'd make the extremes. Long paring chisels, little oddball specialty chisels...

....and I have a burning itch to make a steel 28" infill plane with a 2 1/2" iron. Nobody would ever use it for long, but you could start a tool business and put such a thing in the banner at the top and everyone would "woooh!" except for the people who have tried making furniture for a living. They'd resent it.

The thing about all of these (actually, the paring chisels are nice in the rare instance they're needed, but other than that) is that you find out quickly when you get tired from using one of them why they're uncommon.

The first long plane I built was a 28" jointer. It's on the rack in front of me. I don't think it's moved in at least 5 years. I can't imagine walking around a large shop or boat yard with a plane like it as unlike the shorter planes (including the 20-24" planes, the jointers are both heavier and *very* nose heavy.

So, you get tired with them, but then you get sore muscles where you didn't expect to - like your right forearm from wrangling the heavy nose of the planes up. I'm sure a 14 pound 28" rosewood infill plane would be extremely nose heavy, and if it was made in a proportion that it wasn't, it would look really funny.

I think that lignum plane looks grand. A half hour with it would probably tell anyone why it looks like it has so little wear, though. A lignum coffin smoother would probably be dandy if it could be kept from cracking (not easy). When you look at the eyes on that plane, you can see someone struggled to cut them and gave up trying to get them to look smooth. They do look decent at first glance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081