Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
yes on the razee
Response To:
Re: southern suppliers... ()

David Weaver
...you can do that, make narrower, or make shorter or some combination.

Most of the rosewood or lignum planes for boats are some combination of that so that they're not.

I'd say with live oak, if it's dry, plane/flatten a sole on the side where you'll have it. Let the billet sit for a couple of weeks through some weather changes and then check flatness again. If it holds flat, you're probably good (as long as grain direction is close to agreeable). If it twists, flatten the bottom again, wait, etc. and do that until it stops moving.

i'll be interested in hearing how easy it is to work as one of the things that I've noticed with woods other than beech is if they have grain direction less than agreeable, it can be hard to get clean cuts inside cheeks, etc. Or in the case of something like ebony, there's not enough directional conviction for the long grain to be strong, and erosion at the mouth and chipping is pretty common. I got about 2/3rds of the way through a 3x3 ebony blank and then quit as the wood is just too chippy around a plane mouth and the abutments. It can be worked with but rosewood is almost the same weight and has much more directionality to take advantage of.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081