Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Louro Preto - prior wood identification *PIC*

David Weaver
This may be of interest only to me...

But, I was looking through the chisels I've made yesterday, and it's certainly the case that I've made more than I thought (despite sending a few out). I made two handles of the wood that I asked for identification on earlier, and some blanks (I think I actually made more than two, but included them on chisels I sent...I can't remember now).

I felt confident that Louro Preto was the right wood, and it doesn't matter that much except for a mental note that it's pretty, reasonably hard, but not good for anything that can split.

So I decided to look for more chisel handle wood on ebay and looked up Louro Preto when I was doing that. Pictures from a fellow selling it for fingerboards below. This combination confirms it with absolute certainty - it has the mock interlocking in some, the yellow look against the brown in others (that makes it look like it's interlocked, but it saws and splits like a wood with straight grain, at least mostly - maybe not quite on the splitting, but close).

I wonder how many other pretty woods are out there that we see little of (these fingerboard blanks are priced at $40 each - not something I'd be remotely interested in, I've paid $80 for jet black ebony blanks that can make 8 of them, or four and about half a dozen chisel handles.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081