Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Dovetail and rabbet question

Joe in a Cleveland suburb
Hello.

I'm building this small bookcase from a 1998 issue of FWW. February #128. Written by C. Becksvoort.

The top of this case in dovetailed to the sides. A molding is applied at the top of the case.

It will have a rabbet for the back to sit in. I've been struggling with this in my head trying to figure out how the rabbet and DT's will come together.

It's been a couple years since I've done DT's by hand. So I pulled out some pieces of scrap to mess around/practice/test with. Put a 1/2" X 1/2" rabbet on the pieces then did a quick DT.

See the below picture. Don't critique the DT it was literally the first one and I was making no attempt to be accurate. I just wanted to see what it was going to look like. Is that gap normal for this type of contraction? Should I do something different? If I look really hard at the pics in the magazine, I think I see the same gaps. They'll be covered by the molding, but it just seems odd to me.

I suppose I could use a router later after glue up to do the rabbet then chisel the corner square.

Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081