Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
What wood do I have here? *PIC*

David Weaver
This picture is called one for me, two for bill (but not tindall - I don't have any 3v files). :b

The one with the dark handle is one of my first chisels after I kind of got the aesthetics a little better, and I used this same wood for a no-ferrule handle. It is only about as heavy as beech, but it smells like rosewood. It doesn't have the strength or oiliness of rosewood.

I got it back when rockler was "good" (they were local here and any turning wood or shorts that were hard to sell got sold for almost nothing - I've harvested bits of wood out of their shorts pile like kingwood and quartered cocobolo that are not easy to find - but that ended more than a decade ago).

I almost threw away the billet of wood (about 12x12x4) that this handle came from figuring it wasn't heavy enough for a plane and it has some cracks.

I have to admit I like the turned handle with ferrule better as it is guaranteed to fare OK if the bolster stretches a little over time. The tang is tapered so if that happens without the ferrule, the handle can split. But I actually broke the other handle adjusting the straightness of the handle vs. the tang below the bolster.

I've stopped burning handles in like a caveman, too (thought was fun, the mrs. banned it - some of the smell always makes it through the garage into the basement and upstairs - though the olivewood smoke was quite nice).

I'm using the "steve" method on the handles, which is probably something many non-steves use, and I think warren suggested it, too drill a hole, use the tang then to excavate and adjust the handle as it goes in and then drive the last bit tight.

(sorry the closeup of the wood is a little blurry, it's just a crop of the full picture - if you get the urge to say "walnut" for the wood, it's not close to walnut in properties, and remember the dalbergia smell comment - and dustiness).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081