Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
1084 *PIC*

David Weaver
in blasting through a bunch of chisels, blades and knifes lately, I bought 1084 and 1095 just before doing the test that included XHP.

I was smitten with XHP after the test because it's really great in a controlled test. A little less so for work across the board now (it's still the best smoothing iron that I can think of in clean wood).

Having a lot more experience with hardening and tempering (and parks 50 oil, which will just about maximize what you can get out of 1095 and 1084), I figured I'd give 1084 a whirl. I'm looking for a super uniform iron that buffs easily, and have the iron in the toaster oven for the second temper.

It's surprisingly hard tempered at 400 degrees - at the upper limit of what the washita will tolerate, but a second temper should drop it part of a point to a point.

Unfortunately, I didn't measure it, and see that it's 0.11 inches thick -too much for my two stanley planes (and my LN plane is packed and ready to go in the mail), so I will have to file one of the two #4s that I have to use it (and that's OK).

(I thought I might find a cheap late model stanley 4, but went out to ebay....apparently about $80 is the going rate for a clean stanley 4 now (!!!!!) -at least for the listings selling or sold, there's no shortage of asks over $100)

Messages In This Thread

1084 *PIC*
Re: 1084
No real market..
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081