Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Good point
Response To:
Re: Just for fun, David ()

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
I don't know much about the people that bang on metal as a hobby, or business, but it seems that some/most? like to repurpose metal as an important consideration. How else to explain the many knives I have seen made from RR spikes or the demand for worn out files.

Then consider that the goal may be a tool that looks good and performs adequate and maybe doesn't cost much . For some/most? the goal may not be to make the best performing tool, achieved by selecting the optimum steel.

However, when it comes time for the finals on Forged in Fire the contestants seem to pick a piece of virgin steel optimized for the task, and not something salvaged from the junk yard. (I have only watched a few episodes so maybe my conclusion is not broadly correct).

If the goal is to make something adequate, or to practice making something, I can understand starting with a cheap raw material that will work, or even to see if it will work.

There are dozens of kinds of steel because there are thousands of applications where an optimum property(s) is desired. Minor constituents down to a fraction of a per cent are optimized for this or that application. I would think that a leaf spring steel would have to have superior fatigue resistance, an irrelevant consideration for a chisel. Toughness at high hardness would not be an important property for a leaf spring while it is an essential property for a chisel. Then add home forging and heat treating requirements. And there must be others.

I am reminded of turners. They turn anything for practice or fun. But if the order was for Croquette balls and mallets to sell or to be personally used by a serious player one would want to select a species of wood that was optimum and specify its moisture content. The analogues raw material "skids from used pallets" would not be an informed choice for these products.

Again a topic I have little experience with, but it seems that Japanese chisels are primarily "white" or "blue" steel. I have not heard of these forgers bashing out chisels from Toyota springs and discarded files, but maybe some do.

The bottom line of it all, when it comes time to forge chisels to be keepers or to sell it would seem prudent to select a virgin steel optimally suited for the forging, heat treating and properties for ultimate use. This steel is not going to be some repurposed scrap of presumed composition. But for practice, or fun, or garnering Utube revenue, springs are trendy.

Messages In This Thread

what chisel shape would you choose.. *PIC*
Leaf spring knife
Construction chisels and 0.5% carbon
Re: Leaf spring knife
Just for fun, David *LINK*
way beyond what I'll ever do...
Re: way beyond what I'll ever do...
Re: way beyond what I'll ever do...
More on Torbjorn
out of curiosity
OTOH and getting a bit off topic
Delayed Response...
Re: Just for fun, David
Re: Just for fun, David *PIC*
Raising the subject of handles
Not sure...
The important thing on youtube...
Good point
repurposed scrap...
5160 vs. 1095
Re: 5160 vs. 1095
ditto....
Re: 5160 vs. 1095 *LINK*
Mono fidelity - PM
ABS master bladesmith test *NM* *LINK*
Not being unnecessarily harsh here...
Re: Not being unnecessarily harsh here...
Can't deny...
The bladesmith test vs. the work..
practical vs. the big knife crowd
I recall..
Re: what chisel shape would you choose..
My favorites are flat, plain Jane Marples
The ability to steer in a level cut...
Re: what chisel shape would you choose.. *PIC*
Edge holding *PIC*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081