Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Speed

David Weaver
those wheels do OK working bevels, especially on softer or laminated tools. Usually. George mentioned CW getting some wheels that were harder and finely graded and difficult to use.

I doubt most of those are well balanced and could work at a higher speed. The attraction (for anyone who has freehand ground) to an aggressive abrasive at a high speed is that it doesn't present a lot of grip on the work (just like a belt sander doesn't). The opposite effect vs. that is something like trying to grind freehand on a tormek - BTDT, can't really do it on small areas and the machine is too slow for large areas.

Realistically, the alternative is a larger hard wheel belt grinder (which is what the boutique knife users use - some kind of stop/jig and the hard wheel on a belt grinder for concave grinds, and the platen or slack belt for convex).

I saw a lot of those sandstone wheels as a kid - they were in the shed in most farms. I only ever saw one being used at a craft show, though (some guy was sharpening pocket knives for $1 each on a wheel powered by a hit and miss engine. That was over 30 years ago -not sure there would be enough guys with pocket knives for that to be worthwhile, but back then, most of the men locally carried a pocket knife, and usually ungodly dull).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081