Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: The hawley grinding video...

David Weaver
A good contrast to the grinders is a very recent video of the buck 110 knife being made. It goes into a machine that shapes the blade, into another one that hardens and tempers, and then into a couple of wet (automated) grinders that hollow grind the blade.

There's a penknife maker on one of the hawley videos, also. He works efficiently, but the factory version of assembling the knife is pretty much a jig that puts the pins/rivets through the knife and then peins them all at once.

I have two of those buck 110s - for what they are, they're nice knives. They can retail them for $45 on ebay with cocobolo handles and a fair amount of brass and decent stainless. George wilson turned me on to tidioute knives, which are factory made, but a higher level of refinement - I remember him being astounded at the finish quality on them for about $100-$125, and he said something along the lines of costing $1500 of his time at his shop rate to make a knife as good.

Given that these shops were doing mostly specialty work already in the 1960s, and most people now would see any human irregularity in a made tool as "poor quality" unless it's on etsy as a boutique tool, the ship has long sailed.

(the only issue with the buck knives in the past for me was that they're a lower carbon high-carbon stainless. a "plain" stainless. This whole dust up with the unicorn sort of solved the edge holding issues I had with them. I think they're intended to be a folding hunting knife, but I don't hunt. Without a buffed edge, they don't tolerate much box cutting or shop chore work, but they work great with the edge buffed off).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081