Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: daughter didn't like REV 5, back to square 1

Sgian Dubh
"Now I see why someone advocated to choose the hardware first and work backwards on design. I'm done except for 4 tiny pulls.

I think that would have been me, Bill. I can't recall for sure where I heard it, but I think it was Rupert Williamson who said it back in the late 70s or early 80s during a talk as a visiting lecturer to the course I was on. He's a quite well known furniture maker here in the UK.

I've always interpreted the guidance along the lines of ensuring that consideration of pulls or handles is an integral part of the design process rather than as an afterthought. In other words, don't build the piece until you've decided how doors, drawers, etc are to be opened and closed. After all, visible pulls are generally very much on show.

In your case, my first thoughts are that those drawer fronts need no further adornment, and that a method to open them that doesn't require pulls would be aesthetically attractive. I suspect it's too late for that, so perhaps a pull that's not visually too intrusive might be the best bet. Perhaps something that curves down slightly to provide a grip, and fixes to a recess in the the top edge of the drawers, or something slim and tear drop shaped in profile at the outer extremity that's orientated vertically on the drawer front to approximately match the grain orientation. Slainte.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081