Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: coin sorter mills?
Response To:
Re: coin sorter mills? ()

David Weaver
I have to admit I don't know how it was done other than seeing something called a "Double sorter" in a lumber operation. I didn't think through when it was used as I saw only the sorter, but you're right - it's probably done with dried lumber after everything is pretty much done.

I think the one that I saw sorted logs by width and length so that each bin had more or less a very uniform product for pallets.

I'm also at a bit of a disadvantage in confirming this is the case at my local retail dealer here (which I don't use), except to note that they cater to architectural/trim work (not to the kind of work going on with this forum). When I get boards from them, they are almost identically sized within a fraction of an inch (despite being rough). It's the kind of place a beginner would buy lumber - you can't pick anything, they don't deliver, and if you ask them to cut down 12 foot boards (in half) to fit in your car, they say they have a $5 cut fee.

Which you then find out is..

......$5 a board when you get the bill. :\ I'd guess there's some value to their trim work customers to be able to get boards that are nearly identical in size, and in trim work, things that matter to us probably don't matter to trim customers.

It's usable, and it's cherry, I guess. The exact width rough boards always puzzled me until I saw one of the board sorting setups.

After getting project lumber at the above place twice early on, I got connected with mike digity (of large beech cutting fame), and when he retired, another guy south of here who will deliver 750 board feet here for $50 from an hour away.

There's so much standing and fallen wood here in my development that I don't have access to that it drives me a little bonkers, and even at that, our cherry here is being obliterated by some kind of peach or fruit borer. The old trees remain but nothing under about 16" is surviving.

Still fascinated by the sorting idea as there must be some motive there to be able to maximize lumber price by keeping narrow boards out of retail stacks.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081