Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Re: Nuance..
Response To:
Nuance.. ()

Winston
> Who really knows how much all of this matters - 15 years on or so, I saw this only because I was looking through the scope. The only thing I know for sure is that once someone looks at an edge through magnification, the "this edge is good, the last wasn't quite as good, etc - that variance is gone".

The reason I started heading down this path of trying to create a hollow on the back of the blade is because, since I started buffing my blades, I've gotten accustomed to much sharper, more uniform edges. The surface from planing with a freshly-sharpened (and buffed) blade is incredibly smooth.

However, with bevel-down planes, I did notice some inconsistency with the resulting planed surface when I sharpened this way. It was probably more noticeable because when the edge is good, the surface is flawless, and I've gotten used to the idea that I can easily achieve that.

I think the cause of the inconsistency in sharpening with a bevel down plane blades is because of (A) the wear on the back of the blade makes it harder to hone that side, so it's more likely for a bit of burr to remain, and (B) I try to only do minimal buffing on these blades, to maintain clearance, so if there is a bit of burr left on the blade by the time it gets to the buffer, it's less likely to be fully removed.

Since I started applying more pressure near the edge when working the back of the blade, that has pretty much eliminated the inconsistencies in buffing BD plane blades for me -- even though (as seen in the picture of a bit of light reflection) there may be still a bit of convexity right at the edge. Note that in my case, I'm using a waterstone, so in addition to the extra pressure near the edge, the slurry and softness of the stone probably helps it to abrade any burr despite the remaining convexity.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081