Hand Tools Archive

Subject:
Nuance..

David Weaver
..there's some nuance - as far as working a larger surface, I suppose it is, but for some reason it works better and faster.

The bias is right at the very tip. As implied, I've come to prefer stones that can do a little bit faster work than some of the super fine stones that are preferred now (as in, when I as using 1 micron diamonds in the test, the level of wear created chased the back bevel wider and wider, then it became a compounding problem where it got harder yet to get the wear at the tip completely removed).

Practical solution mentioned above is just to allow some of it to remain. The picture of an edge polished with directed pressure looks better, though.

I didn't experiment, so one would wonder if a 1mm rule would solve the problem vs. a 0.5mm rule (and it still may not interfere with the chipbreaker). I don't know the answer to that, and perhaps someone who avoids edge damage would never notice any of this without a scope (and if it's not noticed, is it a big deal?).

All that said, the issue of directing pressure at the edge with a faster stone and then backing off pressure while finishing seems to have eliminated all of the issues, cap iron use or not.

The "sharpening stone omnibus" below brought this back to the front of my mind because I could try the stones relatively close together (in time) and notice how long some of them took to remove the back wear.

Who really knows how much all of this matters - 15 years on or so, I saw this only because I was looking through the scope. The only thing I know for sure is that once someone looks at an edge through magnification, the "this edge is good, the last wasn't quite as good, etc - that variance is gone".

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081